I went shopping by myself today. An elaborate plan to get the Jeep emissions tested during a grocery run at the commissary turned into to lunch at Taco King (yum!) and Justin bringing the boys home to nap and me going solo to find the goods to nourish the family.
I like to go as a family, a fun little outing. But once in a while I like to go alone. Take my time. You know, compare brands, price shop, smile at the other moms who are bribing their kids with fruit snacks or telling their toddler they better get back over by them or they will get left behind, read the label, and use the nutrition knowledge I paid UNL way too much for.
Four text messages from Justin and an empty Starbucks drink later, I find myself in the milk isle. I grab from the back (a trick learned from my mom!) and check the date.
Sept 10. Instantly I think "Amy and Kim will be here before my milk goes bad!" Moving on to frozen veggies I start to realize how much of my life is counted by milk expirations.
From deployment homecomings, my due date with Jenssen (I drank all of that milk way before that expiration date!), weddings, birthdays, finding out if we would have a little girl or our little Rowan, trips home, guests coming, guests going, Justin coming home last week, and now Amy and Kim arriving. One could say my life is measured by one jug of milk at a time!
Sometimes I am looking for one from the front, maybe even one on sale, because the countdown is too long and the day I'm longing for can't come soon enough. Other times I'm ready to ask the stocker if they have any still on the truck, trying to push the looming deadline back as much as I can. In reality I know life is measured by so much more than dairy.
Still, it is kinda fun to take one week at a time. Plus, milk does a body good!
Now, what is going to happen in your life before the milk goes bad?
(Oh, and poll question, yup, $50,000 is the highest ticket in the Seward Salmon Derby, if you catch the tagged salmon. I need to get me a fishing pole!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Tell me about expirations, I am cleaning my deep
ReplyDeletefreeze. I will not tell you the dates I found.
Did your mom tell you my job has had an expiration date too, by choice
GGma