Those are the words I heard my 2 year old exclaim Thursday morning, and they were music to my ears!
Justin flew back into Anchorage after some training for the upcoming deployment early Thursday morning. He told me Wednesday "wheels down at 0200." In camo language that means they land really early. After I figured that out, I decided to set my alarm for 2:15 am. If the big military plane lands at 2 am, there was no way they, in their amazing ability to do things in a timely manner, were going to get my soldier off the plane, across Elmendorf AFB onto Fort Richardson, turn in his weapon, get him to his company, and release him by 3 am. So 2:15 would be early enough. I was going to pack up Rowan, but leave Jenssen snuggled soundly in his bed, as Lisa and Cole arrived Tuesday and would keep an ear out for him if he needed is traditional 3 am drink of water.
4:00 am - *ring ring*
Tammy - "Um.. Hello?" (totally just woke up but acting like I've been just hanging around for hours)
Justin - "Hey! Where are ya? Did you get my text messages?"
Tammy - *looks at clock... opps.* Oh, no, I just read them, hum, must have, um, I don't know, um, huh. Strange. Be right there!"
So, my plan of getting up, looking cute, making sure Rowan was ready to snuggle, and being on time were a bit out the window. Next thing ya know, I'm on my way to Fort Rich, in my pj's, Rowan talking away in the car seat behind me. I, always on the look out for moose, drive along the road thinking to myself, you sly little lady. He will never suspect a thing. Once again you pulled it off, he will never ever find out you slept through your alarm. Academy award goes to Mrs. Tammy Pekas.
Then reality hits, I'm a horrible liar, and after nearly 11 years, Justin can read me like a book, even over the phone. Oh well, I was on my way to pick up my hubby!
As I drive up to Justin's company, I expect to see a lone soldier, waiting with his duffel. Instead, I see 150 men and women in uniform, unloading equipment, carrying bags, and walking to and from various vehicles. Ah, the game begins.
Anyone who loves someone in uniform, and has been somewhere to pick them up after an extended period away knows this game. You sit there, and you wait. You can't carry on a conversation, you can't perform a task, you can't even sing along to the radio. Instead you sit, and wait. Your mind racing the whole time, your eyes scanning the field. Is that him? No, he is a Staff Sergeant not a Specialist. That one? No, too short. There! No, different build. Him? No, he wore his glasses on the plane. This one? Wrong patch.
This game continues and continues. It is a game mixed of excitement, anticipation, frustration, and realization that the man you have been missing will soon be in your arms. I have played this game many times. At his basic graduation, R&R from Iraq and Afghanistan, in the Hunter Gym after a deployment, and various other late night or early morning pick ups from training trips. The thing that makes this game so special is that you have the same emotions each time. No matter the distance of the particular separation, the length of the relationship, or the passing of life's events during and between the separations. I had just as many butterflies in my stomach Thursday morning at Fort Richardson picking out Staff Sergeant Pekas as I did 8 years ago at Fort Jackson picking out Pvt Pekas from all the other new graduates at basic training.
There I sit, scanning each and every person walking by in ACUs. Then the truck shakes. Someone is loading stuff in the bed of the truck. A smile crosses my face, and before you know it I'm getting one of the biggest hugs I've had in a long time. He stunk, he was sun burnt, and he was home!
We didn't get home until around 6 that morning, and of course we were too excited to sleep. We spent an hour laying in bed, awing over the now 4 1/2 month old that was Rowan. He was now laughing, had developed the ability to roll over but not the desire, found his feet, and began to enjoy bringing toys to his mouth. These accomplishments that he developed over the last 5 weeks were suddenly as new and amazing to me as they now were to Justin.
I took Lisa and Cole to the train station before 7, and when I came back was surprised to see Jenssen still asleep. It wasn't long before I heard "mommy?" from downstairs. I told Jens to come upstairs and eat breakfast. He ran right into my arms like he does every morning, but he had this little smirk. He saw daddy! He picked up his head, smiled, and smacked it back down. In true Jenssen fashion, he was now "too shy" to do anything. One tickle from daddy and they were BFF's! For the next hour I heard "Daddy home! Daddy home!" We then got the whole run down. "daddy home, and mommy home, and Jenssen home, and Rowan home, and charlie home, and Izzy home, and Back hoe home, and combine home, and papa home..." Not accurate, but very imaginative.
The next two days were filled with random outings, laughs, treats, and splurges because daddy was home and we could. Next week, we will once again have some distance standing between us as Justin goes on to the next round of training, and there will be not random Friday afternoon ice cream dates with daddy.
Lunch at the PX ended with Jenssen feeding daddy his Cheetos. At least he shares.
After lunch, hair cuts were in order for these two boys. Jenssen managed to get a sucker right away, when he was done with his hair cut, and yet another after he knocked down the display case of hair products and ran away crying. I understand the lady didn't want him to feel bad and cry, but I'm sure the other little boy suddenly got an idea in his head.
A random outing to the park meant Rowan had to break out the new hat. Ha! I love this one!
A trip to REI to get Justin some gear for next week found the Pekas family in the truck killing time while Rowan snacked. This picture cracks me up. There is a lot going on. Jenssen likes to pretend drive (unless it is the van, then he apparently likes to really drive). We told him he had to put on his seat belt. Once he found out wearing his seat belt meant he had to sit too far away from the seat belt, he demanded Justin sit down first and act as a booster seat. Seat belt check! Rowan was smiling up a storm, so Justin took his eyes off the "road" and smiled back. At that same moment, Jenssen saw the opportunity he had been waiting for. Dad is distracted, honk the horn! The couple walking in front of the truck got the scare of their life and a horrified look from me, an apology from Justin, and the a very mischievous smile from the 2 year old behind the wheel.Friday morning resulted in waking up, diaper changes, and a impulsive drive to a Golden Donuts. Jenssen was silent, and spent a few minutes picking out the perfect one. Glazed with chocolate frosting. Yum! He had all the frosting licked off by the time we got home, as well as a pretty good sugar high.
I now find myself half way through Justin's week home. It has been fast, and fun filled. Four more days of normal, then I'm back to pseudo single mommy.
More to catch you up on, lots of projects, little moments, and a visit from Lisa and Cole! But first, I'm going to enjoy this Monday evening at home, doing dishes while my husband sits only a few feet from me, and my kiddos sleep peacefully knowing daddy will be here in the morning. It is such a little part of life, but means so much sometimes.
Have a happy week everyone!

Thanks for the great blog. I know the next couple of weeks won't be so fun...but we have skype and you'll have visitors!
ReplyDeleteLove you all!
M
Yes, your company is coming soon, wish I was coming too. What will Jenssen say when Charlie is gone?
ReplyDeleteGGma