Woke up, tired from Jenssen waking up a few times asking for daddy or superman (sorry Justin, they aren't the same... yet), and Rowan feeling snacky all night, and late. Had only 30 min instead of the 1 hour 15 minutes I needed to get everyone ready for babysitter and work.
Spent my frantic 30 minutes rushing around, then realized Jenssen still wasn't up. I went into his room, where he was laying in bed looking up. Hm, not like him to be so still, and quiet. What is up? I turn his light on, and get a peek at his eye that I thought he got some dirt in yesterday. Yup, my gut was right last night. Pink eye.
Jenssen demands to give Rowan kisses, specifically on the eye. Fight ensues between mom and Jenssen as to why we can't kiss Rowan there. Jenssen sheds tears, wipes them, then grabs the toy from Rowan, touching Rowan's eye in the process. Congratulations Jenssen, mission accomplished.
Spend the next 30 minutes trying to find someone to work for me, contacting babysitters (an elaborate plan from the night before to split the boys up to keep Rowan away from cold germs at one babysitter was now foiled and needed tweaking if it was in fact pink eye) and making an appointment to confirm the diagnosis and start treatment. (Bit of nurse nerd coming out there. sorry)
Drive to the clinic. Instead of clocking in, I check in. Twenty minutes later, and after giving some grief to the nurse that we went to the pond with yesterday that she took me to "Pink Eye Pond", it is confirmed. Yup, one of the most contagious mucus membrane bacteria causing eye crud and discomfort now officially lives in my house, and on my kid. And just days before my husband comes home and quickly leaves again for more training. Yay.
Numerous attempts to kiss Rowan resulted in numerous melt downs.
On a high note, they had samples of the med, so I didn't have to go to the pharmacy. I'm sure nothing good was going to come of me going to the pharmacy.
Because I had to stay home today, I offered to work tomorrow. Lisa and Cole are coming tomorrow night, so I needed to get all my running around done today. Another nurse offers to take Rowan for a while, to keep him away from "pinky" and to give me a break. I had a sucker in my purse, and an offer to watch the baby. I'm getting groceries! (Why this seemed like a good idea on a day like this is beyond me. Plus, the fact that my kid had just be diagnosed with pink eye escaped me for a moment). While getting Jenssen in the cart, I remember the eye. Crap.
Jenssen points out the gigantic cart that looks like a race car, but is as heavy as a 18 wheeler, and as loud as a freight train. That is probably where he got pink eye. Jenssen and I have a serious talk. He keeps his hands away from his eye and in the cart, then he gets the sweet ride and a sucker. That boy lies.
First stop, Lysol wipes, then check out. Me and my new purchase, along with my incredibly difficult to steer cart, proceed to get only the necessities. Why can't I remember the necessities? Obviously they aren't necessities... Good thing Jenssen is obsessed with cleaning wipes. I didn't even need the sucker, he spent the whole time wiping down the cart, occasionally steering, and asking for the hand sanitizer I was keeping close by just in case he made a threatening gesture with his eye. I am 100% positive we looked like germ freaks, among other things, to each and every person that gave me "that" look. Oh well, that race car has never been so clean! It isn't giving away pink eye anymore!
On the way to check out, I see a bag of M&Ms. Hmm.. I was inspired to try potty training again. (If you don't get the link between M&Ms and potty training, you are not a parent so don't worry about it, ha!). While putting my necessities on the check out, Jenssen decides he is done driving. Have you ever steered those huge car carts? (Now I know why my mom never let us get them). They aren't easy to steer, let alone get in the crammed check out isle. Now, add a toddler trying to get out of said cart, and your carton of eggs too close to his foot. It wasn't going to end good. So why I decided to set the blueberries on the edge of the conveyor belt is beyond me. I guess I was trying to keep the fruit together? Maybe it was the position of the blueberries, maybe the size toddler 8 foot, or my hand on it's way to shield the eggs, but something knocked the blueberries off, and they rolled up and down the isle. Ugh, and I just started to like blueberries! (that was for the Hoffman's!)
A quick scan to see if Jenssen touched anything in the process... nope, still holding onto his wipes. The lady assures me it isn't the worst that has spilt, and calls for clean up. I try to brush a few blueberries out of the way of giganto cart, squishing a good 75% of them in the process.
Oh yea, M&Ms. Pick those up to place them on the counter... whish, trickle of M&Ms. I'm not sure how the bag got open, or if it was open when I picked it out of the other perfectly closed M&M bags. But Jenssen exclaiming "NM&NMS!", the clean up guy giving me a look of "are you serious!", the check out lady trying to contain a chuckle, the sight of a very colorful isle, and me closing my eyes as I felt M&Ms falling farther down my shirt and melting along the way (they might not melt in your hand, but they melt other places) gave the sense that God must be sending me a message, potty training can wait another week.
Jenssen, usually very helpful while carrying in groceries, was far more concerned with Charlie laying in the driveway (yes, she has become a half inside/half outside cat, and enjoys her rolls in the dirt in the driveway). He carried her up to the steps 3 times, each time when he sat her down she ran away. This caused quiet the melt down. Each time. But, determination is his strong point, and he eventually got her through the doorway. Thankfully he didn't see her run back out before he got the door shut.
I get the groceries in, and remember "Dave" is going to come fix my dryer, which currently doesn't dry. That actually went smoothly. Nothing to report. Jenssen does now think he needs to open the entire dryer like Dave did, but thankfully his John Deere tool set doesn't work for that.
I make lunch, and start to sanitize and un-infect my house. In an effort to save money, I bought the off brand that was sitting next to the Clorox Anywhere spray. Too bad I didn't see it was also sitting next to the Clorox Clean Up. Anywhere spray and Clean up are VERY different. Both containing bleach, but in very different amounts. I thought it smelled different, but the new white spot on my previous blue shirt was the kicker. That's what I get for saving money!
We picked up Rowan, took a nap, did laundry, cleaned, and got a text message from daddy that said "Looks like the 25th for sure, see ya Wednesday!"
A high point!
After a day like today, where it feels like 10 pm and it isn't even nap time yet, I dread the evening. I'm tired, Jenssen is bored, Rowan is cranky, and there is way more yelling than I like. Thankfully we live in a time that has a little thing known as Skype. My wonderful parents and siblings are always willing to entertain the boys and keep me company for a while. Kim has even offered a puppet show! Thank you guys, you make a long day that hasn't gone my way much more doable. You, and ice cream. Which, coincidentally, is what we had for supper, ha!
Oh well, tomorrow is a new day, and a day that will bring 24 hours on antibiotics, new summer guests, and our last day without daddy!
Bring it on!

Like dad and I always remind ourselves when you all were little..."someday we'll look back on this and laugh, right???" And we do.
ReplyDeleteYes, we're also so thankful for skype. Jenssen loves looking at those farm magazines that we hold up. John Deere, John Deere!
Hang in there Tammy. You're doing great!
M
Yeah, I can even look back and laugh!
ReplyDeleteAgain a reminder that you are special to me!
Hugs Gma