Thursday, August 18, 2011

Every End Brings a Beginning

 I have anticipated the Miller's visit for months!  Not only to catch up with old friends, but even more so once we found out Justin would be gone in August.  Although we all would have really enjoyed Justin being able to join in the fun, I looked forward to their company and it gave me one more thing to count down.  I can't believe it is over!

 Katie, the utmost talent in vacation planning, had their visit planned down to the day.  She picked all the right spots for a week long visit in the Great North.  A train ride to Seward, a glacier cruise, a float plane tour (a good idea...)and a drive and tour to and of Denali were all on their to do and done list.  They left one day dedicated for me to show them around, so I had to make it a good one.  I took the boys to the Nelson's to play, and the three of us and the jeep headed south to Alyeska. 

Really, I just like to say Alyeska, (I have learned to say such interesting names up here!) but it also was a beautiful day.  We took the tram to the top of the mountain, then hiked a little further for some amazing views.  When it comes to a cliff, or something I could reasonably fall off of, I am terrified of heights.  I had to keep looking across the valley, not directly down, or the tingling in my feet reminded me of my fear of falling.  Good thing it was a good day for a clear shot of all God has blessed this land with!


I had heard of a "short" little hike that takes you to a hand tram going over the river.  We all seemed up for it, so down the trail we headed.  Two and a half miles, some elevation gain, encouraging words that this would only help the baby weight melt off, and continually asking Pete "Are we there yet?" later, we ended up at the hand tram. A lesson in always asking questions when you don't know gave way to figuring out how to operate the thing and Katie and I climbed aboard.  Pete stayed on the platform.  I can't believe he hiked all that way and didn't want to try it out!  However, I was pretty thankful that we had someone to help pull us back over!   We made it back to the resort and headed back to Anchorage to pick up the boys and some supper.

 While waiting in the meat market for our fresh sockeye salmon and crab legs, Pete found some lamb chops in the shape of Nebraska.  There is a true Cornhusker for ya!  Always on the look out for Nebraska!

I had to drop them off at the airport that evening, and it was pretty sad.  Our visitors were gone, and our world returned to just us three, and a few furry friends.  Even Jenssen, who had grown quite fond of Pete and their common interest in farming equipment, said "No Pete!" When they walked away from the truck and into the airport.  Their visit was so anticipated, and over all too quickly, which has been true of every person that has blessed me with a visit up here. Thank you so much guys, for grilling my steaks, mowing my yard, carrying my children, driving my truck after I had half a beer, accompanying me on my child free afternoon, salting my potatoes, picking raspberries with me, and for most of all, deciding to spend your time and money to bring me a little bit of home so far north. 


 Katie and I spoke of this trip this spring, and it is already over, with the fire weed starting to turn it's fall festive red.  With their departure brings the whisper of fall, and the anticipation and countdown for my next visitors. 

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite blogs! I'm betting the rest of the readers would have rather seen pics of the boys the me though- Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure everyone enjoyed seeing a guy hold a piece of meat that looks like Nebraska!

    ReplyDelete