Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tryin' my best!

 Today marks 39 weeks of pregnancy for me, aka, the desperate search to find something that will put me into labor.  So, we decided to take advantage of the nice Alaskan afternoon and head to the zoo.
(Justin failed to tell me my eyes were closed during the pic...)
 We visited the zoo in the spring when Justin's dad Jerry was visiting.  Although we hadn't been back, I always wanted to.  It is a nice zoo (I only say "nice" because I am used to the thought of a zoo being the Omaha zoo...).  It is all outside, with a few inside activities.  Nice wide and well maintained walk ways, and the animals spread out in cages that allow a close up view.  Perfect in my eyes!  I get some walking in to encourage one babe to make is appearance, and the other babe gets to run his little heart out while pointing and screaming animal names which ensured a pleasant nap time.  So Justin, Jenssen, and I bundled up and headed out.
 Our first stop was of course, the moose.  They have two resident moose.  They don't have their antlers right now, but I still wanted to take a peek at them.  They were both sitting in the middle of the field.  However, when we came to the fence, this moose got up and came to take a closer look.  I would say I don't know who was more excited, me or Jenssen, but let's be honest.  It was me.
My cute guy, making sure dad sees the moose too.
 Jenssen kept yelling "Mooooo" his version of moose.  I'm sure the moose was thinking, "I'm not a cow you little boy."  Regardless, we got a pretty close look at him.  Good thing we bought the yearly family pass.  I can come see moose any time!!!!
 Jenssen was interested in all the animals.  However, he was, at times, far more interested in the snow.  Apparently it was news to Jenssen that this stuff had been around for 7 months now.  Needless to say, we had a little boy with cold little hands by the time we got back to the truck.
 This was just funny.  A very green zoo I suppose, getting power from a tree!
 Our second longest stop was the new brown bear.  Jenssen has recently learned to say "bear" and he says it pretty clearly.  So when I walked by, casually mentioning to Justin that the sign stated this was a new brown bear to the zoo, Jenssen's ears poked up, and he had to show me where the bear was.
A cute little guy.  Well, not so little.  Welcome to Anchorage friend!  See ya when I stop by to say hi to the moose next.

A few other highlights were the wolverine (as always).  This guy is crazy.  He runs laps around his cage.  Really never stopping, or slowing down.  I'm told he's even more active at night.  Not sure how he can get more active, but he cracks me up.  Jens was sure he was a "pupchy" and kept saying "oooff" (his version of woof).  They also have two tigers, which were fun to watch.  They had just been fed, and the crows were trying to steal a few bites.  Secretly hoping I'd see one of the tigers be quick enough, it would be like national geographic in real life.  Just wasn't his day I guess.

We had intentions to see the rest of the bears, snow leopards, and a few  others, but our man was getting tired, and baby was making mom tired.  Besides, I have all year!

The rest of the day was spent hanging around the house.  Justin has been working on his packet to become a Warrant Officer, and also trying to find time to study his Farsi as it is once again time to qualify in his language.  A fun Sunday spent enjoying the nice weather (it was above 40 again!) and my beautiful little family.  We rounded out the evening by skyping with the McKinney bunch, and of course, playing trucks with our corn from Papa.

Hope you all had a relaxing day!  Miss everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see Jenssen! You should have taken your "zoo" animals with you to the zoo.

    Still waiting for "that" phone call!
    Love ya.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete