Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Return!

Yay, he's home!  Yes, yes, Justin's tropical vacation had to come to an end, and boy was I ready for it!  Not so much due to the jealousy I felt every time he called and had just got back from the beach, or snorkeling, or maybe he was just "underwhelmed" with the island today because it was in the low 80's and kinda sprinkling....  but more because Jenssen is 2, and I'm 9 months + pregnant.  Two year olds are intense when you are their only play mate (as much as Jenssen tries to, I wouldn't really consider a dog and 2 cats play mates.) and 9 month pregnant ladies get tired quick when they play trucks on the floor or are wanted to sleep next to the toddler bed all night.

However, the month did go by rather quickly, thanks in a LARGE part to my wonderful friends up here.  So many people invited Jenssen and I over for meals and play dates.  That made the time go by much quicker than him and I hanging out at home.  Thanks everyone, from fellow Army wives missing their husbands, to my wonderful coworkers at the clinic.  Don't worry mom, I was taken care of.  And of course, skype dates with the family back home help!  Justin even joined us on one.  My parents at the farm, Cori in Hastings, Amy in Michigan, Brent and Kim in Kansas, Jenssen and I in Alaska, and Justin in Hawaii!  Of course, there were many conversations going on (If you have ever ate supper at my parents when everyone is home, you know what I mean), but it was great fun, and really helped pass the time for me.  Little things like that make me appreciate what we have as a society.  For an hour or so, Alaska doesn't seem that far away. 

Justin got home Saturday morning, so Jenssen and I headed to the airport to pick him up.   Jenssen was pretty excited to see daddy, and to ride the escalators.  Good thing there are 4 of them from the parking garage to arrivals.  He wasn't as tan as I thought he'd be.  His suitcase smells like sand and sun screen (at least I know he was wearing some) and his clothes still smell like it even after they are washed!  I can't get rid of Hawaii!  And yes, that is what he wore home.  Not too surprising to me, since that is what he wore when he left Alaska.  It was nearly 40 degrees when he got back though, so he didn't look all that different from the other Alaskans that day.


Justin even brought me home some pineapples! SOOOOOO good.. yum.  I'm glad no one is here to share... hehe.  He also returned with various chocolate, coconut, and macadamian nut combination. Amazing... Still, doesn't quite make up for him going to a tropical island while I stay in a frozen tundra, pregnant, but it helps a bit ;)

I woke up around 1 am Saturday morning with contractions, and they didn't end until around 5.  I had some serious discussions with this little guy about how he can wait for 9 hrs, obviously he listens.  Wonder how long that will last?

Now that daddy is home, we are ready to have this baby!  I'm 38 weeks today.  Had an appointment on Friday.  Heart rate was 138 (after we found it!  The little guy's back is to my back, and when you press anywhere near him he gets back there are far as he can.  The midwife is going to have a bit of a chat with him when he comes out about cooperation...)  Lots of twisting and turning going on in there.

My last day of scheduled work was Thursday, so now we play the waiting game. My books are read (Justin doesn't understand why I read them again, as I "just did this" but you never know!), the car seat is ready, house is pretty clean, and I finally, after much procrastination, have my bag packed, along with everyone else's. Jenssen is going to the Nelsons, Izzy is going to the Stalkers, Justin is coming with me (whether he wants to or not!) and the cats will probably sleep on the couch the entire time and not even notice we are gone.  (except Charlie might notice the lack of annoyance by Jenssen.)

In the meantime, I have this random little guy to keep me entertained, and remind me how rewarding all of these aches and pains, pounds, stretch marks, sleepless and heartburn filled nights will be. Just another Jenssen moment to share with you all.  He opted not to stay dressed very long this particular day.  I guess 2 year olds really do what 2 year olds want.

Check back soon, who knows when the little guy will arrive!

2 comments:

  1. You look great! And I am super jealous of those pineapples...we brought home 4 from our honeymoon :). So you're getting the heat-wave 40's as well, ha! Not quite as the 60's and 70's our family has been enjoying but I'll take what we can get-especially all this SUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK baby make your appearance.
    Glad Justin is home and am now waiting for the news.
    Gram J

    ReplyDelete