Friday, December 16, 2011

DIY: Jet Pack

 You know what they say; cool moms make capes, awesome moms make jet packs.  You know it's true.

After a little pintrest inspiration, some coke bottles donated from Kim and family, spray paint found out in the shop, some back pack strap material stuff (I'm very technical today), and some red, orange, and yellow fabric, we had lift off.

This was seriously crazy easy to make.  Every time he plays with it he has a blast (pun INTENDED) and I laugh hysterically. 

 Start off by rinsing and removing the paper from the coke bottles.  Spray paint them either gold or silver.  We used silver, as we later had to make some reinforcements with duct tape.  If I had to do it over, I'd wrap duct tape around the bottles and then spray, instead of hot gluing them together like I did here.  Much more stable, and hot glue is hot.  Then cut your material to look like flames, and glue in the openings of the bottles.  Glue (then later duct tape if you have a kid like mine) the straps at the top and bottom of each bottle, and you have lift off!

 This is quite possibly my favorite picture of  Jens lately.  He is actually in the process of flight.  Well, at least in his mind.  We have had hours of fun already, and I'm sure more are to come.

And why leave the babies of the world out of the experience?  After creating the first, Kim and I chugged some mini sprite bottles and repeated the steps for a little smaller pilot.  Of course Rowan probably won't get the hang of it for a while, but it is still pretty darn cute.

(And yes, you can make them adult sized, just make the straps longer.  There is no reason you can't fly too!)

4 comments:

  1. I love the in blast off position picture you got. Glad they are loving them-great for the imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love these!!!!! Do you have twitter? I'd love to chat w/you since I'm a mom of 2 little boys, too!!! @MothersHideaway

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I sure hope my little guy things so, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the process of making a couple for my 7 and 5 year old, but I'm loving the baby one! That is so stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete