Hi all! A little late (but if it were on time you would know it wasn't from me!) but Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.
What an amazing gift, blessing, challenge, joy, frustration, and accomplishment it is to be a mother.
I have always, always, looked up to my parents and grandparents. They sacrificed and did so much for me and my sisters and brother. I saw this growing up and appreciated it. However, I didn't really realize the extent to those sacrifices and doing until I had children of my own.
I can honestly say these last two years of my life, and specifically the last month, have been more challenging and yet rewarding than I ever expected. They say life changes when you have children. It doesn't really change, it gets better. From the things you see mom's do, like clean the kitchen, pack your lunch, wash your clothes, telling you to wash your hands, and make you smile at family pictures, to the things you don't see her do, like stay up late to put the final touches on something, placing her wants and needs last on the to do list while placing those of the family first, checking on you during the night, rocking you to sleep trying desperately to keep her eyes open, or watching Dora the Explorer over the morning news... mom's have a tough job. I've only been doing it for 2 years, and I can imagine it only gets tougher from here. However, every time Jenssen runs up to me while I'm standing in the kitchen and hugs my leg, or Rowan looks up at me with his toothless smile, I realize how amazing the pay out is. If it is this good now, it can only get better!
So I say to all mothers, or any women who has played that role in anyone's life, thank you for every sleepless night, for every out of style hair do, for every desperate need for a new wardrobe, for every meal (even the burnt ones), for every I love you (even when it is hard), for every sacrifice, for every smile, for every tear, and for every moment you spend placing yourself behind your children (except when toddlers are walking down the stairs, then you place yourself in front of them... I learned this). Thank you.
Not only have I been blessed by being chosen to play the role of mommy for two of the world's cutest boys, but I have also been blessed by being surrounded by some of the world's most amazing women and mothers. Here are some of the highlights. Only some, because there are so many more than I could mention, aunts, friends, etc.
My grandmas. They taught my parents the values that I was taught. You ladies are it, the gold standard, the reason my parents raised me the way they did. Climbing the challenges, and living your lives the way you have give me hope that I can overcome anything. When times get tough, I look to you, not only for an example, but because I know you are just a phone call away, and your voice and advice will make me smile and calm my heart. Thank you!
Priscilla. We have had a unique relationship, starting from the 15 year old girlfriend, to the college girlfriend, to the fiance, to the wife, to the mother of the grandchildren. I have leaned on you in the early years while Justin and I were apart. I'll never forget how I always called you at the airports when I was leaving Justin. I look forward to continuing that relationship and learning from you. You raised the man I love and the man I will raise my children with. So far, having only boys, I'll need some advice along the way on how to handle these Pekas boys, especially when they try to over throw their 6th grade teacher. Or should I just leave that up to daddy? Thank you for being the mother to, loving and giving me this amazing man to love.
Cori, I feel like I have to mention you on mother's day, for you helped out in so many motherly ways with Jenssen when I was living in Nebraska during the last deployment. Playing the role of both parents got old, quick. You, along with so many others, were there to pick up some of those duties. You helped me out when I was tired, you kept me company when I was lonely. It's true, my boys have a wickedly amazing mom... but they also have some wickedly amazing aunts in their life, and you are one of them!
And, my mom. Mom, I always knew I wanted to be the kind of mom you were. It wasn't until I began to raise my own kids that I realized how hard that was going to be. To follow in your footsteps will be difficult, and I pray that I can. To this day, I have yet to see you put any of your needs or wants ahead of your children. Any reason, any need, any time of the day, you are there. There to listen, advise, do, say, throw a party (or at least not complain when we throw one at your house!) or hug. Looking back I see even more now all the sacrifices you made while we were all growing up. You are the definition of a mom, and I consider myself so lucky to call you mine. I love you.
Jenssen, you really aren't that helpful. By late afternoon, I sure was missing hearing Jenssen's pleas for more cheese, or just looking over Rowan amazed at how much he has grown and changed in a month. But the time alone was nice, even if it was just downstairs folding laundry.
Hope all you moms got some special time also. Now, back to mom for another 364 days!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



ah, THANKS! I love you all so much!
ReplyDelete