Monday, January 17, 2011

Nesting with a label maker? Sure!

Why is it, when I have lots of stuff to do, lots of laundry and dishes to wash, things to put away, toys to find homes for, that I find the free time I have to be best used to rearrange and deep clean?  Seriously, I'd like to know.  Maybe I'm just trying to keep warm.  Negative 20 last night.  The jeep was cold.

It was a serious hazard to walk down our hallway the last few days.  Suitcases, boxes, laundry, toys, and who knows what else have been creating an obstacle course (which I have become very good at.  This is one agile pregnant lady, especially in the middle of the night.  Lots of stubbed toes though...).  This extended to our bathroom.  So, what does a normal sane person do?  Go to Sams Club and Costco in the same weekend, buy bulk everything, and add to the mess!

Of course, we had to get a pretzel while at Sams Club...

I'm beginning to thing I don't nest, I instead organize and sort.  It isn't the most direct way to pick up a mess, and certainly not the fastest.  But it sure looks nice!  Broke out the label maker and picked up some sweet buckets and trays from Target (and a new cartridge for my label maker!), and viola!  An organized bathroom closet!  Such a sense of accomplishment!  All that effort into something that didn't need to be done at the moment and wasn't posing a hazard to my safety made me too tired to work on the hallway.  Next weekend?

After whipping out the label maker for the closet (all those tubs with the blue handles are sorted into cold meds, cough meds, prescription meds, children meds, infant meds, stuffy nose, band aids, hand sanitizer, Kleenex packs, disinfecting wipes, etc, AND label appropriately. What is it they say?  Hell hath no furry like a nurse with a label maker?)  I couldn't stop myself.  Jenssen's room, our room, kitchen, junk drawer, no place was safe.  Now, let's hope I actually put stuff back where it says it goes. 

Now that Jenssen is more independent, and will soon be only half of my attention and free to roam when he should be sleeping, I decided to make sure all he can get into is baby wipes and butt paste.  Hence the organizing the bathroom closet.  Pretty sure I don't need to buy sunscreen for 10 years! I also used the day to make his room into a room for two little boys.  It took all the self control I had to pick up toys and go through what was already in the room before opening up the tub of baby stuff.  But I managed!  I remember folding, and refolding, and organizing, and reorganizing, then refolding, all of the baby clothes before I had Jenssen.  I seriously rearranged the room 4 times before he was even born.  Starting to get like that again, hehe.  Of course, Jenssen was a HUGE help... not...  Justin met up with a friend and took a winter hike this afternoon.  I sure was glad to see him walk back in the door so Jenssen could try to help someone else, hehe.  We should have used the long weekend to try out the toddler bed, but we didn't have the nerve.  Maybe next weekend....


We did take one big step towards big boy hood in the life of Jenssen.  He has been wanting to sit at the table instead of in his highchair.  I haven't found a booster seat I like, so we just lowered the highchair.  We even gave him his own cup with more than just a sip of milk in it.  I was quite prepared to be cleaning up milk and tator tot casserole, but much to our pleasure, he did wonderful.  He even took his plate and cup over to the sink.  Mostly because he likes to throw things in there, but I'd like to think he can some day teach his daddy to do the same!


 
And, Catholic or not, this is pretty darn cute.  He's working on the sign of the cross, not quite there yet.  Sure enjoys his holy water at Mass though...

Little baby boy has decided to push his feet up into my ribs, which means it is time to lay down and stretch out.  These long Pekas babies and I don't get along well after 30 weeks...

Now, go forth and organize (and get a label maker!)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Tammy. That is called adult ADD! I think you got it from me. What a big boy Jenssen is with no tray. Hope the toddler bed move goes well.

    Love ya. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call it "productive procrastination"! I've been working on books but keep getting side lined doing other "jobs" to make it easier. . .like cleaning the office, organizing files, etc. Seems like one job turns into five more. Good luck with all the "adjustments".

    KIM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try organizing your house plus a 1st grade classroom with 20 active, unorganized, and germy students! I need a lot of help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm researching Staples for my accounting class - so when I'm done I can inform you what new organzing things you can buy from them...you can never have enough 3M stuff!
    I'm happy as the God Mother that he is starting to pray :)

    ReplyDelete