Saturday, January 22, 2011

Jenssen turns two and a Monster Bash celebrates!

Good evening all.  Justin is pulling a guard duty tonight (I know, all that Farsi training, to check ID's.  But if one happens to be in Farsi....) so I decided what a perfect night to share with the blogging world our little man's birthday party!

 Now, I know, I said he was the cutest newborn, then the cutest baby, then the cutest one year old, but common, that is the CUTEST 2 year old you've ever seen.  Frosting kisses?  Does it get any better?  Doubtful.  


Mr. Jenssen turned 2 years old while we were back in Nebraska for the Holidays.  His actual birthday was January 4th, but we had the party a few days early on New Years Day, so Aunt Amy would still be around for the festivities.    My good friend in Alaska, Erica, threw her daughter a "Monster" themed party when she turned two, because, let's face it, turning two is the official start of your little angle baby becoming the monster that is, the terrible twos.  I asked if she would mind if I also used the theme (it is SO cute), and the planning began!  Just a few highlights from the afternoon.
 I started the planning Nov 1st.  Handy, as the Halloween Monster stuff was 75% off at the craft stores.  So, candle pillars paired with tins and googly eyes became silverware holders.  Frightening, and darn cute!
 My original idea was to carve a monster mouth and face out of a watermelon.  Did I mention this party was held New Years Day?  Apparently watermelon are not a winter fruit.  So, we worked with what we had.  Brent helped me out by using the pamper chef pineapple corer to get the "meat" out of the pineapple, then some monster face pieces created the rest.  Wow, did I learn a lot about pineapple thanks to Brent!  A melon ball emptied my cantaloupe, which also received the same monster facial.  It was really good cantaloupe, despite also being out of season.  And Amy created the lemon for me.  The fruit was delicious, or at least must have been for people to brave all the monsters!
Amy and I put our skills to an old box, and viola, the napkins had a home! We didn't realize Geico money eyes would be so easy to make out of an egg carton. 

 Quick party tip that I have discovered.  Tissue paper is your friend.  Whether it lines bowls, or sits under dishes, it is a wonderful way to add color to your buffet, and at only $1.79 for a multi-pack! Downside, use it to line chip bowls, and you are reminded of all the grease...
 Oriental trading was a great place to find decorations.  I don't think I got a picture of the cute gift bags, but here are some table decorations.  Pictures of my little monster.  Can never have too many of those!
If it was monster, it was on the dessert tray.  Monster cupcakes, monster poppers, monster cookies (oh Eileen's, how I love you and your cookies!)  The cupcakes were easy to decorate with various frosting tips.
 My favorite monster.  Not sure who ended up eating him, but you ate a good one!


 Chocolate covered marshmallows.  I saw them in a magazine, and thought at the very least they would be colorful.  They were gone by the end of the night, thanks mostly to the Perry's.
 My cousin Amber caught these pictures of Jenssen.  Aunt Susie was teaching him how to work a popper.
 And he got it!  That face HAS to make your day.
 My cricut machine came in handy for the party.  I cut everything in Alaska and brought the pieces with me.  With the assistance of my lovely sisters, we arranged the pieces, and even laminated it ;)
Now it can stay up forever!

 Little to my mom's knowledge, the invitation included an explanation that January was also reason to celebrate my mom's 50th birthday, and my parent's 30th wedding anniversary.
After 30 years, I'd have to guess that's true, eh?  Love you guys, and thank you for everything.

It was a wonderful party, thank you to all who came and shared in our special occasions.  It was quite a way to kick off the next year.  Instead of trying to figure out which order to start solid foods, we will be trying to figure out what he WILL eat this day vs that day.  Instead of trying to quickly change his diaper before we are sprayed with a yellow fountain, we will be showing him the concept of a toilet and what can go in vs what can not.  Instead of putting on shoes I picked out for him and carrying him into the store, we will be trying to explain right foot vs left foot on which ever pair of snow boots he picked out for the day (I have little hope his fascination for snow boots will be over when the snow is) and pleading with him to walk into the store instead of pointing to each and every object in the parking lot.  Instead of saying "no no" in a cute baby voice, we will be testing his and our limits with time outs and 1....2....3....  Instead of speaking baby babble, we will have to start really watching what we say, unless we want it repeated, during church.  And instead of brushing back his baby hair, we will be have to be creative in explaining that his hair can be cut without pain inflicted on him.  It will certainly be a vastly different year than the previous two.  It will test us as parents, as a married couple, and as individuals.  I suppose that is one of God's tests that we will pass only with his grace.  Imagine that, kids testing you.  But heck, isn't that what kids are supposed to do?

Now that the party is over, he's officially two, I can say that I have survived two years of parenthood.  However, I must admit, I have in no way shape or form survived them on my own.  I can't believe two years ago I brought home this 7 lb 1 oz baby boy.  I had held babies before, but this one was mine.  Mine to dress, mine to bathe, mine to mess up.  Believe me, I'm sure I've messed up plenty of times.  However, God is one smart guy.  In blessing me with this little guy, he also blessed me with friends and family to guide and help me along the way.  I am the parent I am thanks to all of you who have listened to me, helped me, showed me, or told me.  Parent yourself or not, I value each and every one of you. Just remember, I'm 30 weeks pregnant.  So don't be a stranger!

Happy 2nd Birthday Jenssen.  Mommy loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment