Sunday, May 16, 2010

Green Thumb?

Hello all!

So... the garden is in! Whew. I'm not sure why I started this project, but now I'm way too invested in this, and Justin is way to annoyed with me to quit now ;) I mean seriously, I live in Savannah Georgia for 2 years, where I could have a garden all year long, and the only dirt I touch is in the geranium I bought, which later died in my custody. So what do I do? Move to Alaska and decide I know what I'm doing, why not start a garden? Yup, that's me.

I'm sure you are all dying to know how the garden is doing. Well, time will tell! First I had to convince Justin that it was a good idea. I never succeeded in that, but that guy must love me, because there we were at Lowe's, picking out lumber. (Dad, Brent, and even Brad have all succumbed to my "projects". Actually, anyone involved in a recent wedding too... ha!) So, first we built a box to put all the dirt in. Through the internet, and my over the fence research with my neighbor, I learned that a raised garden does better here as the dirt stays warmer. So, we made a box. Doesn't Justin look happy to be helping?




Now, as for dirt. Easier said than done. I turned to Craig's list, as they have a free section, and a lot of people have dirt to give away. One such add read "free dirt, we have a lot. Perfect for plants, clean, ready to be picked up." So, I call the number, and tell the lady that I'm starting a garden and need some dirt. She tells me this dirt would be perfect for a garden, and we arrange that we will stop by later in the afternoon. I called on our way, and got a machine. Left a message, but still went to the house since we were like 2 minutes away. Justin and I pull up, ready to get our free dirt, and no one is home. The woman told me earlier that it is actually behind the house, and we can go down the alley to get easier access to it. Since no one answered the door, I walked to the yard and looked down a mighty steep hill. At the bottom of it, I saw an alley way, and what appeared to be the hill I was standing on being excavated right beneath me. Now, I'm pretty sure at this point that this is the "large amount of dirt" that the woman told me about, accessible only by the alley. Which, by the way, was full of clumps of weeds and rocks, Alaska sized rocks. I quickly, and quite easily weighed my options. Drive down crazy little alley to take the rock and weed filled dirt UNDERNEATH this house, or go to Home Depot. Home Depot here I come. Then someone calls me, dirt lady. She informs me if I still want to come she is home now, or I can stop by whenever I want even if she isn't there, as it's just basically the dirt that makes up the hill (but it isn't a hill, it is a cliff) that their house sits on. They want to make a basement, so they are just trying to dig out the dirt first. Now, I'm not a basement maker expert here, but don't you want to form some sort of support to support the existing house before you put an add on Craig's list to have people just show up and basically dig your house down? I said we might stop by if we need it. (I'm not good at saying no....)

Good thing we went to Home Depot though, as I was able to convince Justin of a green house plan. Seriously, anyone who gardens should think about making one of these. A hoop green house, simplest thing ever! (Well, yes, Justin built it, I gave Jenssen a snack and put him down for a nap, but the concept seems to be the easiest thing ever!) Some PVC pipe type stuff, screw it into the frame, zip tie some part together, cover with plastic, secure with some handy screws, washers, and rocks, and there ya go! (Justin rolls his eyes here...)

Before we added the plastic I planted. In the far row I have peas, lettuce, spinach, and carrots. Those can be grown without the greenhouse, so they won't be covered. You can kinda tell, but behind the garden are my raspberry bushes. They better produce some AMAZING raspberries, because boy are they a pain! Them are some pokey little guys! Good thing my little green house doesn't go near them, they'd poke a hole in. I think I still have those tiny microscopic little spikes in me. Better wash my lettuce extra. The only plant I have planted in this picture is my lone tomato "Moe" from Lowe's. I hope Moe makes it. I planted him yesterday, and today he is looking a little sad. Maybe he was just sad to leave his other tomato friends, and he'll perk up. I had the greenhouse up last night, and it was toasty warm in there this afternoon. I opened it up to add some more plants. So I now have green beans, a Roma tomato plant, a jalapeno plant, a sweet pepper plant, and onions. I also have a cucumber, but I put him in a separate container since I know how those pumpkin looking leaves like to spread. I am slightly, well, let's be honest, very afraid that I planted things too close. Me? No, never! We will see... might just be a field of green!
This picture is a little deceiving. It makes it look like Jenssen is helping. Quite the opposite. He was the most un-helpful worker I've ever met. He took each and every marker I had out. I hope I got them back in the right order but I am a little suspicious. At least the hose kept him occupied for a couple of seconds.

I realized as I was finding pictures to put on here that I didn't take one with all the plastic on, I'll have to do that tomorrow. But you can imagine, the plastic goes over, I anchor it down with some rocks, and there ya go! It's been in the 40's 50's for lows, but my landlord tells me we are not done with frost yet.

Izzy actually leaves it alone, so far. I think since it is raised, she just kinda looks at it, then moves on. I'm sure left alone long enough though she would do a thorough investigation.

I doubt I'll have any record setting cabbages mostly because I didn't plant cabbage. But hopefully I will have a good crop. I'm already having fun with it, and Justin is already annoyed with it, ha! But really, it is a fun family activity, and everyone should make one!

On a bit of a different note, here is Mr. Jenssen's new toy.
20 bucks. He loves it. He can climb up the stairs and go down it all by himself. Good find. Too bad he would rather take out all my sticks and squirt me with the hose than play with it while I garden.

I suppose I should go. Thanks for checking in on my garden. Hope Moe feels a bit more at home tomorrow.

No major outings planned for this week, but this is Alaska, I could see a moose anytime, so be ready!

Happy gardening!

2 comments: