Today is the beginning of a garden. Yup. My landlord has given me permission to build a garden. What do I know about gardening in Alaska? Very little. Actually, none. So, what am I doing? Who knows really.
I have bought some wood, and Justin (hesitantly) is going to build me a box. I will then get some dirt from a guy, and fill said box with dirt. I know from some research (and some talking over the fence to my neighbor who I can see has a greenhouse) that I can grow carrots, lettuce, spinach, and possibly green beans and peas without a greenhouse. So, we are going to start on those. Then I'm going to look into building a hoop greenhouse so I can have tomatoes, zucchini, and peppers. If not, I always have my topsy turvy! Thanks dad!
Now, I know the question weighing on everyone's mind is, what about pumpkins. As some of you might know, I grew about a million pumpkins last year. Mostly because I paid no attention to how many to plant in one single area, but also because I LOVE fall and pumpkins. I doubt I will be able to do pumpkins though, as I only have an average of 90 frost free days after may, and my garden is only 4 ft by 12 ft. I learned my lesson last year on how close to plant pumpkins to other things, as they are pretty greedy about their space. So, ya'll can send me pumpkins from the lower 48.
I'm curious to see how all this sunlight will work with the garden. Tune in to see with me!
Okay, Justin is ready to build my box, then we have to go to my dirt guy. So, I better sign off. I'll add pics tonight. Yay!
Before I go, I'd like to give a shout out to my sister Cori. She is graduating from Hastings College today with a bachelors in Elementary Education and Special Education k-12. Whooo! Wish I could be there Miss McKinney! She will then work at the most prestigious grade school in Hastings as a 1st grade teacher. I say it is the most prestigious because she'll work there, ha!
Okay, off to turn my thumb green.
Have a good day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment