Thursday, February 2, 2012

Go ahead, try it

Rowan, 10 months tomorrow (WOW!) is a much different baby than Jenssen was.  I know not all babies are the same, I used to tell parents at the clinic that all the time.  However, I never really knew how true that really was until I had two.  Same basic genes, right?  Completely different outcomes.  Jenssen wanted down, constantly.  Rowan, would like you to walk him around.  Jenssen hated having his diaper changed, screaming through the entire ordeal.  Rowan giggles with delight when you lay him down and practically rips the diaper off himself.  Jenssen squirted me (if you have ever changed a baby boy, you know what I mean) every chance he got.  Rowan is a gentlemen.  Jenssen slept through the night (after a little pressure from mom), Rowan likes to keep it real and party every 1-2 hrs.  Jenssen looked at strangers very seriously, while Rowan would smile at a door knob (and does...) Every day around here is a constant reminder of individuality and a lesson in not comparing.  After all, who says normal is normal?
 The most striking contrast lately is eating.  I couldn't feed Jenssen fast enough, but I can't get Rowan to eat enough.  Jenssen drank thawed breast milk from a bottle with chunks of ice still floating.  With Rowan, everything must be the right temperature, color, consistency, flavor, and then of course he must be in the right mood.  And don't even mention a bottle to Rowan.  What an insult!

 With the nice weather lately, Rowan and I enjoyed an afternoon alone while Papa and Jenssen worked outside.  (Worked may not be the most accurate word.  I'm assuming dad had plans to get some work done, but I'm sure Jenssen talked him into a backhoe or tractor ride or two).  In my quest to keep my child nourished, I am constantly re-offering previously rejected foods. To my surprise, the stars must have been aligned, because after a month of trying, Rowan finally allowed a yogurt puff to get near his lips.

I'm not going to say it was his favorite right off the bat.  The first 5 puffs received this reaction from Rowan.  They must have been tasty though, because he kept eating them!  (Finding one by one since he of course had to dump them all out of the container).  After he at them all, he was looking for more.  If only he would have realized weeks ago that one day he would like them, we wouldn't have wasted the rest of the package on previous snack attempts.

 So, in true Rowan form, when all else fails, put something on your head.

We did find one more before the laundry was all folded and big brother rejoined us, and it made for a happy and full mouth baby boy. 

See, go ahead, try it.  Who knows, one day you might like it! (And if not, you can always just put something on your head!)

(And to answer the poll question, Rowan's favorite food is..... pickles.  Although some days olives are at the top of the list, the only way I can get him to eat baby food is bribe him to open his mouth with the tease of licking on a pickle.  We have another papa's baby here.)

1 comment:

  1. Look at happy face/1 He would smile at anything for his birthday theme.
    GGma

    ReplyDelete