Sunday, October 2, 2011

Just Because

It was a beautiful Sunday here.  Perfect husband, perfect children, perfect weather... then my phone rang.  It was the Army FRG Announcement number.  The base here has a really neat announcement system that will call, text, or email (or in my lucky case, all three....) any updates from weather to troop movement.  

Phone rings, I say hello and I hear the familiar lady computer voice.  This is the Army FRG Announcement system.  Tomorrow, October 3rd, the Department of Defense will officially announce the mobilization of the 4-25th in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.  My heart sank.  Literally, sank.  Of course this little phone call, and the following text and email, didn't change anything.  But at the same time, it changed everything.  I have known since Justin came home from his last deployment that he would go back, and I have known that it would be at the end of 2011 for a few months now.  But to hear this computer lady say it, to hear those actual words that the DOD would officially put out an announcement that my husband's unit would "mobilize" really hit me for some reason. 

Did they really have to do that?  I knew he was going, quit reminding me Army.  As if all the mandatory deployment briefings, spouse workshops, new camo pattern laying around my house, storage unit rental, missing pets, and talk of what stays and goes where during the next year wasn't enough.  This call today was that hit below the belt. 

Of course that was on my mind all day.  Each time I saw Justin looking at the boys, I realized how much he would miss.  Every smile from Rowan I hollered at Justin to look, wouldn't be long and he wouldn't be able to see those smiles.  Jenssen got away with a little bit more than normal, no one wants to waste time with unnecessary time outs - although according to Jens they are all unnecessary.  And each time my best friend walked near me, he got a hug.  Just because.

There is going to be a lot of that lately, just because.  It is actually a really good way to live, upcoming deployment or not.

A little teaser for an upcoming blog... Rowan starts solids.  You can guess from this picture how it is going...

No comments:

Post a Comment