Sunday, July 17, 2011

Newborn no more!

My little baby Rowan is already 3 months old!  When did that happen?

I meant to get a 2 month blog up, but as I said in the last one, apparently this year is half over and I'm still wondering when it started, and now he will soon be 4 months!

My little chunk weighs in at a whopping 13 lbs 10 oz and is 24 inches long.

He is by far not only the easiest, but also the happiest baby on the planet.  This includes the moon.  Every morning, I wake up (after a solid 7-8 hrs of sleep, thank you Rowan!) to coos, roll over, and get a huge toothless smile from my littlest man.  We then spend a good 30 minutes just smiling, and laughing.  He first started laughing last week, and boy oh boy has he gotten the hang of it.  He is extremely ticklish, and I have spent many a nap time tickling and laughing with Rowan instead of cleaning.  Everything seems funny, especially my jokes.  This may or may not be the sole reason that I had children....

I spent Cori and Grandma's last day here getting out the next size of clothes and putting away all the 0-3 month.  (I had to do it when someone was here to say DO IT or I would have kept thinking he could fit into the cute little onsies.)  Much to my surprise, I ended up getting out not only the 6 month, but also the 9 month clothes.  Yup, chunky monkey!  Good thing they left, because my spare bedroom soon became a organized mess of 0-3 piles, 3-6 piles, onesies, shorts pjs, 6-9 piles, etc.  Rowan of course helped out by laying in the middle and giggling.  We eventually found the other slipper by the way...

Every day I'm sure it's the day he will roll over.  He gets so close, just one more kick would do it, then back to his back, with a smile of course.  We work on it, I hold a toy, or lay down next to him and he gets half way there, as if teasing me, then rolls back.  I think he learned this from his older brother!  He is hardly every content to just lay down and look around anymore.  He got a taste of his bumbo seat and he wants more!  He sets up with us at all meals, and even sometimes when I am doing dishes in the kitchen or when Jenssen and Justin make cookies.

I'm going to have to find a mixer with three beaters, as Rowan looked like he needed one too.  I put it by him just for a picture, but he held on to it for dear life.  I guess he has figured out that he will need to grab what he wants and hold on tight with a big brother running around.  He seemed to be saying "don't you dare take this..."

When I eventually got it away from him, he just looked so sad.  Reminds me of Melvin on Office Space... "I...um...I...I'm going to burn down the building..."

Justin made the comment the other day that Rowan is the "perfect baby".  He smiles, laughs, is generally happy, sleeps through the night, and for 12 days he didn't even poop.  However, on that 12th day I was quite glad we stayed home.  I'm still nursing him, which has proven again to be the most rewarding and challenging tasks of my life so far.  I'm apparently making heavy whipping cream as the little man is in the 75% for weight.

Saturday while returning from the grocery store, we heard rattling in the back seat of the truck.  Not so strange, we do own a 2 year old.  However, the 2 year old had passed out in the checkout lane.  We turned around, and there it was, Mr. Rowan, hand on the frog, shaking away.  It was a pretty special moment.  Two years ago when Jenssen was that same age, him and I were up in Anchorage visiting Justin before he deployed to Afghanistan.  While driving around Jenssen first grabbed that same frog.   Couldn't help but stop and think, how long ago that seemed and how far things have come,  but at the same time how quickly they grow up, and how precious the milestones are especially if Justin is able to share in them.

His blonde hair is turning more red every day.  He has more hair now than Jenssen did at his first birthday.  It is so interesting, how two brothers can look so different, yet also so alike.  Kinda like two other Pekas brothers I know!  Today before I left for work I ran my hand over his head and actually messed up his hair..  That's right, he has enough hair to mess up! 

And of course, he gets love from big brother Jenssen.  Cross my fingers, but we have yet to have any jealousy issues.  Jenssen absolutely loves to give hugs and kisses.  He has taken it upon himself to make sure that Rowan has a pacifier by him at all times.  He calls them "drinks" and anytime he sees one laying around, dirty or sanitized, he brings them over to Rowan.  Rowan doens't always appreciate the force behind the pacifier being shoved in his  mouth, but for the most part Jenssen is gentle.  Rowan absolutely loves to watch Jenssen.  From playing "flying back hoe" to just plain making faces at Rowan,  a big brother has proven to be the best toy of all time.  My life is sure to get more exciting and rewarding every day, and I can't wait!



I love you little Rowan Thomas Pekas.  I am thankful every day that God chose me to be your mommy, and pray that I can be the best mommy out there for ya.  Thank you for each and every smile and coo!

2 comments:

  1. I'll start looking for the mixer with 3 beaters.
    Love those photos of Rowan.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tam
    You are my smile on this miserable Nebraska day. I am longing for the weather we had in Anchorage.
    Love your blog
    GGma

    ReplyDelete