Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer Solstice

So, summer is half over for Anchoragites.... yea, that's what I'm gonna call us.

June 21st was the summer solstice, which means it was the longest day of the year and quite a bit of sunlight here in Anchorage.  According to some info I read, the sun rose at 4:20 am and set at 11:42, meaning we have nearly 19 hours of sunlight!  I have to say, they are right on.  Having a 2 month old means I am often up in the wee morning hours pleading with the little guy to go back to sleep, and having two small children and a husband means I am often up late at night catching up on housework or just relaxing.  However, that night Cori and I were up for  a different reason; to pick up Miss Congeniality herself, Grandma Judy (often referred to as J-Lo, yea, like that Lopez lady).


We left a little early for the airport, half to get a Starbucks and people watch (by far my favorite past time) and half to see the sun set.  This picture was at 1:30 am.

The light was going okay for the Pekas family.  However this last week it has been a little rough.  Jenssen is having a hard time telling nap time from bed time.  During nap time he wakes up, it's kinda light in his room, so he heads upstairs to see what everyone else is doing.  Night, unfortunately, is the same story.  Cori has had a little friend the last few nights up on the couch with her, who doesn't understand why Aunt Cori is taking such an elaborate nap with sheets and pillows in her PJs.  I'm going to try and leave his shades open for nap time, so bed time is at least kinda dark in comparison.  I'll let ya know how it goes.

 We spent the Summer Solstice at the zoo.  We figured we might as well spend the longest day of light seeing the animals.  However, when prancing around town with a 2 year old, you never stay anywhere too long.  The zoo was having a Summer Solstice Festival, complete with a showing of their new polar bear cub, and many other fun booths.  We decided to head out early since our day must take a few hour break every afternoon for nap and relaxation.  Unfortunately, heading out early meant getting done early, and missing all the festival activities.  Oh well, the animals were still glad to see us.
 Rowan eventually woke up and enjoyed the day with us.  I actually ended up carrying him for at least half of the trip, as he wasn't about to accept the view from his car seat. 
He is such an alert little guy, always interested in what is around him, and LOVES to be talked to.  Who knew the 2 month old would enjoy the zoo also!
 
 Our first stop was the deer, to which Jenssen screams "JOHN DEERE!"  Don't worry Grandpa, he remembers.
 Here is my attempt at a family picture at the zoo.  It kinda counts, Jenssen is that yellow spot in the background, you can almost see Rowan's face, and Justin, although he is making one of his Pekas photo faces and poses, is at least looking at the camera.
 This plant almost attacked Cori.  They have the prettiest hanging baskets up here.  I don't know if it is all the sunlight in a short time, or if they are just trying to make up for the 9 months of the year they see no green.  Either way, Cori was safe.

 Jenssen decided to take the closest seat possible to view most animals.  Deer, fox, eagles, cranes... all fine to sit on the gate.  Brown bear, black bear, polar bear.... not so much.  He could have sat here all day pointing out the animal's eyes, feet, hands, nose, hair, etc.  He had no concerns about time, no worries that lunch time was nearing and I had no idea what to have.  He wasn't aware of the need to get home and let Izzy out, or the fact that we would hit some traffic if we didn't leave soon.  It made me realize how nice it would be to live like that.  No worries, just simplicity; taking it all in and enjoying it no matter how simple.  Life would be so much easier, and more enjoyable wouldn't it?

However, I know it isn't realistic to live like that.  Someone has to think about lunch, and responsibilities have to be remembered.  But you know, I can always try to lean a little more that way.  Take the time we want to enjoy what we want.  Maybe I'll hear a good song while stuck in the traffic!

 Near the end of our trip, Jenssen decided to take an interest in the map and where we were headed.  I guess no one told him the person with the map should be in the front, not lagging behind.
 We met a friend of mine and her son at the zoo, and of course, Jenssen had to let him know where we were in the grand scheme of the zoo.
 And alarm us all to the Polar bear that was sleeping.  Well, he probably wasn't sleeping after Jenssen screaming to warn us all.
We all got home, safe, sound, and ready to relax!  The boy's pants came off, and relax we did!

It was a good thing it was the longest day of the year, because we had to rest up for the arrival of J-Lo and all her drama!  We picked her up and the adventure has continued!  Next blog, look for our fun filled day of Seward Alaska!

On a different note, Jenssen has his surgery on Thursday June 30th to have tonsils and adenoids out and tubes put in.  We have been battling snoring, bad breath, ear infections, and sleep apnea since October.  The doctors said the sooner the better, so we opted to get it done up here while we have Cori and Grandma Judy to help out with Rowan.  Justin and I will be with him, and it sounds like he will go to sleep in our arms before the surgery and wake up in our arms right after.  That makes me feel better, but I am still so very nervous and scared about sending my baby into the operating room.  Please say an extra prayer for us Thursday, to guide the doctors, quick healing for the little guy, and strength for mommy and daddy as they sit in the waiting room.

Hope you have done something exciting with the first half of your summer!  It's only getting darker from here for the Anchoragites!

No comments:

Post a Comment