Snow, cold, cute little boy, not much new up in our woods! Christmas shopping has begun, and it is my utmost favorite time of the year! I love to shop, but there comes a point when you don't need anything else. However, Christmas offers me the opportunity to hunt, for the perfect gift, at the perfect price, for the perfect person. Watch out, I'm on the hunt!
Less than two weeks until we head south and relax as Aunt Cori plays with Jenssen (you could say we are looking forward to the break). Today is my last day off work until we fly home. Lots to do! Finish Christmas cards, Jenssen birthday plans, clean, go visit Santa so I can tell him what I want this year, make Christmas cookies, laundry, pack, give the cats the "no party while we are gone" lecture, get Izzy ready to go to "Space Camp" aka boarders, and of course, play angry birds. Justin and I switched to AT&T and I got an iPhone. If you have an iPhone, and have angry birds, you understand my new addiction. I can't stop. Justin is looking for a support group both of us can go to.
I am 25 weeks now, and whoa is that baby kicking! I have been feeling them for quite a while now, and a few times Justin has been able to feel it too. However, last night the kid went to town! While sitting on the couch, I felt a big one up towards the ribs (why always with the ribs? can't wait....) so I had Justin come over to feel. He put his hand on the spot I told him, and my hand was slightly to the right. Then while watching our hands, we both felt what we describe as a Chuck Norris style roundhouse kick, which even made my hand move. And I'm only a little over half way? Oh my....
Despite my full to do list, I am consider writing a book... Life Lessons With a Toddler. Hopefully I will have learned them all with Jenssen so this new little guy won't stand a chance. However, I have this feeling deep in my gut that my life will play out like Malcolm in the Middle.....
Some recent lessons, just from this week!
#1. Don't turn your back on a toddler with a vacuum. He will use it to suck water out of the dog bowl, and there is a good chance it will ruin your vacuum if you don't get to it in time.
#2. Don't ask a toddler if he wants a time out. The answer is always no, but it won't stop the action that made you ask if he wanted the time out.
#3. Explaining to the toddler that his favorite blanket may make him feel better when he is sad, but it is in fact NOT a cape, and will not help him land softly on the floor when he jumps off the couch, will not get through to him. He will still jump, land hard, and cry. Your job as a mom is never over.
#4. Buying rain boots for a toddler can be the best of times, and the worst of times. If he falls in love with the boots, it will keep him from kicking them off at inconvenient times; from the cart while grocery shopping, while driving then throwing them at you, etc. However, that same love means he will wear them day after day, despite the outfit or lack there of, or activity. Whether it be bath time, nap time, lunch time, or play time. Rubber boots make little boy feet stink even worse. Ah, young love.
#5. A decorated Christmas tree with a toddler can be a happy combination. Two days of dedication, time out, attention to detail, explaining "no touch", and quickly growing those eyes in the back of your head will result in your tree standing, with only a few bulbs needing a quick relocation.
#6. Stop and listen. Is it quiet? Then somethings not right. Go check, he may be unrolling the entire roll of toilet paper.
#7. Keep pretty baskets in your bathroom. Then you won't feel as bad when your toilet paper is in a giant wad instead of a nice roll on the holder. Use the basket. Someone might even compliment you on what a neat idea that is.
#8. The first reaction of a toddler when they see you have seen that they are doing something they shouldn't have done, is to run or quickly get rid of the evidence. Do they have the crystal vase from your wedding? They will take off an run with it. Are they in the bathroom with an unrolled roll of toilet paper? They will get rid of the evidence by putting it in the toilet. So when you think they are up to something, be sneaky, don't let them see you coming. At the very least, act like it's no big deal, and pray they don't run.
#9. If you do the basket thing in the bathroom, don't use your vacuum to do the corners of the bathroom floor. If your vacuum made it through the dog bowl incident, there is a good chance your "little helper" will help you just enough to get the end of the vacuum near the basket of toilet paper. You don't need to get very close to use up all that toilet paper...
#10. Every day will be frustrating and rewarding; often at the same time. If it is, you know you have done your job. Always give thanks that you were blessed with the job to clean those hands, wipe that nose, and kiss that owie. This is the most important lesson I've learned.
I doubt my book will be out in time for you to buy one for everyone on your list....maybe in 20 years... I'll keep adding my learning experiences. Got any? Let me know! (I'm not really writing a book, but I like to hear other survival stories!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Cute pictures of Jenssen. 10 days and you're here!
ReplyDeleteTammy, I loved this blog. It made me laugh the whole way through! :) I can't wait till you guys are back!
ReplyDeleteI remember sending you "learning experiences" so you could prepare for Jenssen. . .apparently I forgot the vacuum chapter! LOL Anyway, want to collaborate and publish a book. With 4 boys between us, I'm sure we'll have lots of good advice.
ReplyDeleteKIM
the 'quiet' is always the tip off! the other morning i was in the kitchen cleaning and it was TOO QUIET (for 2) and i found them in the living room with a stack of dvds and they are putting them in the PS3....how many can fit in a PS3 you ask....at least 4! at least thats how many came out! they wanted to watch a movie and had seen mommy do it so they thought they knew how!
ReplyDeletea 'loud' noise was another tip off! and a scary one for me....jace tried to climb his dresser...drawers for steps....and it fell on him. i ran in there and was like superwomen throw the dresser and drawers off him and checked him over....red thighs and a cut behind the ear is what he got away with! bought furniture anchors after that but haven't put them on....think it only took once and that lesson was learned! we do however have our china hutch and corner cabinet (both with glass doors/windows) anchored to the wall!
i enjoyed reading this! never a dull moment at your house!