It was nearly 85 degrees here today with no rain, whoot whoot! We had plans to run some errands, but who wants to spend that nice of a day in a car? We put those off until tomorrow, and Jenssen and I did our best to swim.
No, we don't have a pool, but we do have a green tub and a garden hose. He won't be able to wear this little suit much longer, so I better put it to use while I can! We had a good time out there. Jenssen ran through the spray setting on the hose for a while, went down his slide with the water running, and just ran around. He thought Izzy should join him in his little pool, and Izzy thought she should drink from it instead. I was suprirsed how willing he was to get into the slightly cold water, and even sit down. Made me think how much fun we'd all have at the Hoffman pool this summer! He had a good nap this afternoon thanks to our little make-shift water park.
Once Justin got home to stay with the little guy, I did some yard work. Usually Justin mows, but I wanted to try my hand at it, thinking I'd enjoy it and I could then guilt him into dishes. Well, I'm keeping the dish gig. Mowing wasn't so bad (although it was a work out!), but weed whacking is neither a talent nor a passion of mine. I apologize to my landlord for the marks on the fence, and to the grass, for whacking it down to dirt. It will grow back, right? Sorry Uncle Mike, the lawn could look better. Good thing I don't mow at grandma's anymore!
After my lawn attempts, I turned back to my garden and the out of control raspberry bushes. They have grown a good 2 feet over my garden and that is just unacceptable. I had to have a good talk with all the school bus sized bumble bees flying around the bushes before I started. We agreed that I would be quick, leave some flowers, and they wouldn't sting me. Must have gotten through to them because we all turned out fine. I have a feeling I'll be trimming the bushes back again in a week or two. Anyone who is up in August better be ready for some raspberries, and ready to take some home!
I also thinned out my carrots (Yes brent, I found the strength) and... harvested!
Yup, we had salad for supper. Lettuce and spinach (shhhh... don't tell Justin he ate spinach). I'm pretty proud. Let's hope everything else keeps coming along!
Well, just had to share our first produce with you all. Seems like just yesterday I was convincing Justin that a garden was a good idea. Wow, time has flown by during my Alaskan Adventure!

Love the "pool"!
ReplyDeleteYou need a few of the thousands of volunteer pumpkinsquashgourd's that are taking over my garden. I think they just kept growing after you planted them last summer! Image if they had 20+hours of daylight.
ReplyDeleteJenssen...what a cutie.
Tammy, I have to tell you much I enjoy your blog. You are so creative, articulate and funny that it is such a joy to read of your daily activities. And your photography skills are so great that it really adds to your stories. I am so enjoying your posts that I feel like I am living your life in Alaska through you vicariously! And I am more than a little jealous of the wonderful hiking trails and adventures, since....well.... not much in Nebraska comes even close to the wonder and beauty you are finding up there! Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate it, and you all! Beautiful, in so many ways. Love you all!
ReplyDelete