Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Little things

Hi all.  I know, I know, an update only 1 day after my last post!  You lucky readers!  Unfortunately, don't get used to it, hehe.

Rowan had his circumcision today at the clinic where I work, so he has been a tired boy, napping a bit more than usual this evening.  It was nearly 70 degrees today according to my garden thermometer (although it is an Alaskan 70 degrees, still not shorts weather for me!), so I opened up the screen door after supper, and Jenssen has entertained himself for a good hour by standing in front of it, hiding behind our camo curtain, naming all the objects he can see from the deck.  Cars, people, trees, more cars, dogs, chairs, etc, and screaming his new favorite phrase, "Oh my!"  With the two boys entertained, I have found myself with a rare 30 minutes before bath time to catch you up on some little things I've missed in the last couple of weeks.


The Saturday I went into labor, I realized that this was the end.  No more, yup, I'll have ice cream.  From now on, it would be, nope, no ice cream if I want this baby weight gone.  So, Jenssen and I had our last ice cream snack.  Mmm... it was good.


Here is my last belly picture, taken the afternoon before we went into the hospital.  Man, I was fat... :)

At Elmendorf, I was given a menu that stated, "As a mom who has successfully given birth, please enjoy a selection from the following menu for your mommy's lunch during tomorrow's meal time."  I was quite concerned what mothers who didn't successfully give birth got.  However, I picked my chicken and salad, and patiently awaited my meal.  The next day before lunch, Justin went to the gym to work out while Rowan and I napped.  I woke up, and when I opened my eyes, this is what I saw.


Mom did always tell me Grandma Armella said drinking a beer would help the milk flow....  Turns out it was sparkling apple juice.  Still, gave me a good laugh.  Even Justin was a bit concerned when he returned.

*Side note, I'm watching "Monster Bug Wars" on the Science Channel.  It is about, well, monster bugs, and how they fight.  I sure hope they added the sound effects when the bugs are fighting.  Because if not, I just became even more afraid of spiders... they sound mean! - Justin informs me they had to add them in, but I'm still gonna be pretty weary of the next spider I see.*

Justin went back to work yesterday, and so I found myself in charge.  Of course, a new born not only takes up a lot of your time changing, feeding, and comforting the new guy, as well as trying to keep up with house work and such.  So everyone else in the house unfortunately gets their attention time cut a little.  Izzy and Jenssen have solved this by playing.  I love this dog.  What other dog would let my 2 year old spin her around and then drag her across the floor by the hind leg?

 
That was a busy Saturday when I went into labor.  We decided to kill some time by putting the baby swing together.  Of course, Jenssen had to help, and then test it out with his "baby".  I was so encouraged when I saw him gently place the bear in there, buckle him up, and turn his head so he would be comfortable.  However, that excitement soon turned to nervousness when he then "helped" the swing swing by giving it quite a shove.  Education time.


And of course, we spent some time, and still spend quite a bit of time, discussing that this is Rowan's swing, for babies, and he has Jenssen toys, for big boys.  It is pretty comfy, I can't blame him.



Yup, it's a moose.  Last week when Jenssen and I took our field trip to Great Harvest Bread, I was heading back to the house, and noticed the car in front of me slow down.  I saw something cross the road, and thought to myself "why is that large person crossing the road at the most inconvenient spot during rush hour?"  Then I realized it was a moose!  Which was funny to me for two reasons.  1, because moose, especially in Anchorage (in town moose as they are known) are always funny.  And 2, the day before I had said to Justin that it had been a while since I had seen a moose.  He then saw one coming home that day, and I see one the next.  Ask and you shall receive eh?  So, anyway, he crossed the street and stood in the median.  Well, it was rush hour, so I couldn't just sit there and stare at him.  So I snapped the pic while traffic was stopped, and continued on my way past the moose once everyone started moving  I was smiling to myself at the sight of the moose, when I hear Jenssen from the back of the jeep yelling "Moooo!  Moooo!" his version of moose.  I said "yup bud, we saw a moose didn't we!".  He continued to yell moo when I then saw the reason for it.  Right outside my driver side window was the moose.  He, who was so contently munching on the grass in the median when I passed him, was now running along side my jeep.  I panicked.  I'm not sure if that is what you are supposed to do, but to this un-native Alaskan, it seemed dangerous.  At any moment he could decide to ram me, and I think he'd win.  Do I speed up, slow down, stop, cry?  I did what any woman driver would do, speed up.  (I was later told by native Alaskans you are to honk your horn... that would have been smart.) Thankfully at the time I sped up, he decided to stop and continue his munching.  Was quite frightening at the time.  Kinda funny now though.  Thanks Army, where else would I have a moose running along side my car?

And, just to make your day.  A baby smile.  The best!

Miss ya!

2 comments:

  1. Love the extra blog update today. It makes me miss you more but even more excited for summer! Can't wait to meet Rowan, play with Jenssen, site-see and experience Alaska!

    ~Cori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tammy, just wanted to assuage your fears about the spiders. Don't worry; its not the spiders you see you have to worry about.




    Its the ones you don't see! You are welcome.

    Love ya and can't wait to see ya!
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete